Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Right to Riot

Please read the following article:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/protesters-return-to-streets-in-brooklyn-over-deadly-police-shooting/

Last Saturday (03/09/13) a 16 year old black male  identified as "Kimani Gray", was fatally shot by NYPD. The story is he fled from undercover cops when they rolled up for a "Stop and Frisk". When ordered to stop, he turned, pulled out a 38 caliber pistol, and pointed it at the police.......

The response and turn out from the neighborhood  (East Flatbush - Brooklyn, NYC) was overwhelming. A predominantly Black neighborhood,  the residents were up in arms over another (supposedly innocent) young Black man being shot down. Said residents did not  believe NYPD was doing its job. They believed and falsely accused the cops of using Gray for target practice.

So, what started out as a prayer vigil for Kimani, turned into a melee.  It escalated into a full scale riot where they completly trashed a Rite Aid drug store and beat down a pastor. Yes a pastor!  Mind you, this is same store they may need to buy Pampers, milk, or get their prescrptions filled in the morning.

I completely understand the anger and outrage.  However, I don't understand this need to always riot. To loot, sack, destroy, and burn stuff reminds me of ...... pardon me........ those crazy Muslim extremists.

As I have mentioned in the past,  I am a Black woman. Because I am a Traditional American,  I constantly gaze in askance at my people. It seems that in situations like this, my people never think first before acting.

Consider these facts. Kimani Gray was 16 years old and already a hard core gang member (Crips or Bloods - they are not saying which). He was  hanging out with fellow gang members, not to serve soup to the hungry in soup kitchens, but to commit crime. He was equipped to perform said nefarious acts with a gun. Tell me, what the heck is a 16 year old doing packin' a 38.?  Why did he run? Oh, I forget he had a gun.....

The final and most poignant question. Would it have been better if a, or several cops lost their lives instead?

Amazing,  no one asks these questions,  they just go completely nutter.

In my opinion, when Black people act like this it is no wonder some people hate us. My people seriously need to wake up, and fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment